The Great Cornard Information Website

Home Page

Table of Contents

Cornard Community

Visit the CAB page

CAB Advice

Visit Sudbury CAB website

Page updated - 22 August 2011

Sudbury & District Citizens Advice Bureau

These reports first appeared in the Cornard News Newsletter

August 2011 


Q. I’ll be 65 next year and know that under normal circumstances I’d be expected to retire, but I love my job and don’t want to give it up.  I’m still very  fit and mentally sharp and can see no reason why I shouldn’t go on a few more years.  Can my boss make me leave?


A. The age at which you can be forced to retire from work is to be phased out between April and October this year. Up until now, employers have had the right to make you stop work at age 65, but when the changes come into force, in most jobs you'll be able to choose when you want to leave work.


How the changes affect you will depend on when you're due to retire:

  if you're due to retire before 1 October 2011, your employer can still force you to stop work at age 65 if they gave you notice before 5 April


  from 6 April 2011, if your employer hasn't already told you that you have to retire at age 65, they can no longer force you to stop work because of your age, even if you're going to be 65 before 1 October


  after 1 October, employers will not be able to force you to stop work at age 65. They may be able to dismiss you for other reasons, but they will have to justify those reasons.


These changes will apply to most workers. However, there may be a few jobs where your employer can make you retire at age 65 for a specific reason. This could be, for example, where your age could affect your physical or mental ability to do your job. The new rules also mean that an employer cannot refuse to employ you because of  your age if you apply for a job after you've reached 65.


You can get more information about what you need to think about if you want to work over the age of 65 at www.directgov.uk . If you're worried about how the changes will affect you, or think that your employer may be discriminating against you because of your age, you can get advice on what to do from your Sudbury & District Citizens Advice Bureau on (01787) 374671, or go to www.adviceguide.org.uk  for details.


ANN FURLONGER – Bureau Manager

Sudbury & District CAB – 08 August 2011


November 2010 


Q. I moved into a private rented flat about a year ago. Just recently I’ve become worried that my landlord hasn’t been paying the mortgage. I’ve heard I could be evicted without notice even if I’m up to date with my rent. Is this correct?


A. New rules mean you can ask the court or the mortgage lender to delay possession of your home by up to two months to give you time to find somewhere else to live. You have two opportunities to do this. You can make an application to attend court and ask the judge at the possession hearing to give you more time before you have to leave. Or after the possession order is made you can ask the landlord's mortgage lender to give you more time to leave. If the lender refuses, you can apply to the court instead.


You may have more rights to stay if:

The type of mortgage, your landlord has, allows rental of the property, or

You were living in the property before the mortgage was taken out, or

Your landlord's lender has recognised your tenancy in some way, for example, by asking you to pay them rent.


For more information about when you can be evicted by your landlord's mortgage lender and what you can do about it, see the Citizens Advice Bureau website www.adviceguide.org.uk . For further information contact Sudbury & District Citizens Advice Bureau on (01787) 374671.


ANN FURLONGER – Bureau Manager

Sudbury & District CAB – 13 November 2010


August 2010


Q. I have been contacted by debt collectors about money I did owe but have now paid off.  They won’t accept that the money has been paid.  What can I do to stop the phone calls?


A. If you are approached by a Debt Collector for a debt you have already paid you should tell them it has already been paid and tell them to take it up with the original creditor.


If you have it, show them proof that you have already paid the debt, but the onus is on them to prove that they haven’t received payment. Contacting the original creditor to confirm you have paid it and getting them to contact the debt collector would also help, but again the onus is not on you to do this.


If the debt collector still chases you for the debt you should make a complaint. If they don’t resolve the matter and the debt was for borrowing regulated by the Consumer Credit Act  – like a credit card, store card or a personal loan - you can ask the financial ombudsman to look at the case.


You should also make the OFT (Office of Fair Trading) and the debt collectors trade body the CSA (Credit Services Association) aware of any problems, because chasing people for disputed debts breaches OFT guidelines and the CSA’s code of practice.


Don’t give in to their pressure. You should not have to pay twice. If you need help seek free, independent advice as soon as possible – go to the Citizens Advice Bureau website www.adviceguide.org.uk for more information or contact Sudbury & District Citizens Advice Bureau on (01787) 374671.


ANN FURLONGER – Bureau Manager

Sudbury & District CAB – 24 July 2010


May 2010


Q. I’ve heard about various government schemes to help people avoid repossession. I’m confused about what they are and how they work. Can you explain?


A. You’re right, there are several government schemes to help make sure that facing mortgage problems needn’t mean losing your home.


If you're struggling to pay your mortgage, you may be able to get help from Homeowners Mortgage Support (HMS). This is a government scheme that could allow you to put off paying some of your monthly mortgage payments for up to two years. It’s aimed at people who’ve had a temporary loss of income such as a cut in working hours or wages, or who have lost their job.


If you’re not working because you’ve lost your job, you’re ill, disabled or retired; you may be able to get help towards paying the interest on your mortgage. This is known as Support for Mortgage Interest (SMI).


The government’s mortgage rescue scheme is designed to help vulnerable homeowners at risk of repossession stay in their home. This may apply to you if you are at risk of being made homeless in the near future because of repossession by your mortgage lender, your household income is less than £60,000, and you have children living at home, or you are elderly or disabled. 


In addition to these schemes, new rules (known as the Pre-Action Protocol) are in place to try and ensure that repossession is only ever a last resort. The rules say your mortgage lender must treat you fairly and give you a reasonable chance to make arrangements to pay off the arrears. They must consider any reasonable request from you to change when or how you pay. They should not start court action while you are trying to come to an agreement, and only ever start court action as a last resort, if all other attempts to collect the arrears have got nowhere.


If you do face a repossession court hearing, you should have access to support from a free court desk advisor providing confidential, expert and independent advice.  In the vast majority of cases where people attend court and are helped by the Court Desk Advice scheme, immediate repossession is avoided and they are able to remain in their own home after the court hearing.


More information on all the schemes can be found at www.mortgagehelp.direct.gov.uk or go to www.adviceguide.org.uk for advice. Alternatively, you can visit the bureau at Belle Vue, Newton Road, Sudbury, Suffolk, CO10 2RG for further advice.


ANN FURLONGER – Bureau Manager

Sudbury & District CAB – 03 May 2010


February 2010

Get the Best Energy Deals

If you have never changed your energy supplier you could be paying more than you need to for your gas and electricity. Depending on where you live, on average you could save: £91 a year if you pay by Direct Debit, £86 a year if you pay by card, key or token meter, or £73 a year if you pay by cash or cheque.


When going to compare prices of different suppliers it’s a good idea to get a copy of your last bill, or if you use a card, token or key meter to have an idea of how much you spend each month on energy. It is also helpful to know the name of your current suppliers; the name of the deal you are on, and your postcode.


There are three ways to find out about the prices charged in your area:

  • Phone round the energy supply companies to find out what deals are on offer and compare them with your current deal.

  • Or you can use one of the approved online price comparison sites.

  • These are listed on the Consumer Focus website: www.consumerfocus.org.uk . You can also download a pricing fact sheet for your area from the Consumer Focus website.

If you cannot access the Internet you can call Consumer Direct on 08454 040506 for a pricing fact sheet as well as general consumer advice.


If you are having problems paying your gas or electricity bills you need to get advice so that you can come to an agreement with your energy provider as to how you will repay any outstanding amounts.  You can download details about making agreements with creditors from the bureau website at www.sudburycab.org.uk , view details at the advice kiosk based at the Babergh District Council, Corks Lane, Hadleigh, or contact the bureau at Belle Vue, Newton Road, Sudbury.


ANN FURLONGER – Bureau Manager

Sudbury & District CAB

04 February 2010


November 2009 

Mortgage Help Schemes

Recently, my husband lost his job and only has redundancy money for three months. I only have a part-time job that will not cover the cost of the mortgage. Is there anything I can do to make sure we don’t default on our loan and face repossession?


Facing the prospect of repossession can be frightening, but losing your home is not the inevitable outcome of financial difficulties. Since January 2009 a number of different Government schemes have been introduced to prevent it happening, like Homeowner Mortgage Support. For the most vulnerable households facing the immediate threat of repossession there may be the potential option of the Mortgage Rescue Scheme.


Firstly, its really important to get advice no matter at what stage you are. If you think you are going to have problems paying the mortgage, contact your lender or visit the Sudbury & District Citizens Advice Bureau to talk through options of maximising your income – perhaps claiming Support for Mortgage Interest or renegotiating affordable payments for a period. Under the government’s mortgage protocol, lenders are obliged to help and make all reasonable attempts to help borrowers find a way through a difficult patch.


You should make your mortgage your top priority. If you have other unsecured loans, creditors or catalogues you might have to pay less towards them to make sure you can meet your mortgage payment. Get in touch with everyone to whom you owe money and let them know what’s going on. You should also claim all the benefits and tax credits to which you are entitled. This might take some time so while you are doing it keep in touch with your mortgage lender so they know what you are doing. If you need help – ASK – that’s what the Sudbury & District Citizens Advice Bureau is there for.


It is important to remember that lenders should show that they have exhausted every possible option before applying for a possession order. Even on the day of a possession hearing, there are things that can be done - around four in five repossessions can still be stopped if the households attend court and access free advice. To find out if your court has such a duty desk scheme go to www.nhas.org.uk


Finally, remember that any concerned homeowner can get free, impartial advice from the websites Citizens Advice website or www.direct.gov.uk/mortgagehelp or from Sudbury & District Citizens Advice Bureau at Belle Vue, Newton Road, Sudbury, Suffolk on (01787) 374671.


ANN FURLONGER – Bureau Manager

Sudbury & District CAB

08 November 2009


August 2009 

Changing Mobile Phone Provider

Q. I have been on a fixed-monthly contract with a mobile phone provider for two years, but have found a better deal and want to change companies but still keep my old phone number. I have rung my original provider, but they keep putting me on hold and making excuses for why they can’t help. What can I do?


A. Before anything, check your contract for details of when you can leave and how much notice you have to terminate your contract – in most cases this is one month. You can be charged for ending your contract early, but not more than the remaining amount you would have paid under the contract. You should not be charged for any amounts that you might not have paid.


In order to switch companies, your original phone company is required to supply you with your Porting Authorisation Code (PAC). You should request this in writing but you can ask for it by phone, or in person at your phone company’s high street store. All phone companies are required to give this to you within two working days of your request. Do not cancel your direct debit until you have written confirmation of the termination of the contract, as you may still be liable for your bill and could be referred to a debt collection agency if your bill accrues. Once you have your PAC, and confirmation of termination of contract, you can ring the new company and switch services.


If your mobile phone company does not comply with your request, you should speak to them about it first. If you have made a formal complaint to the phone company and this hasn't solved the problem, you can try using the company's Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) scheme. Your phone company might belong to one of two ADR schemes that have been approved by Ofcom. All phone companies are required to have an ADR scheme. They are breaking important consumer protection rules if they don't. If your phone company won't tell you about its ADR scheme, you can call Ofcom for details, or look on their website www.ofcom.org.uk 


For more information, go to the Citizens Advice website or alternatively, contact the Sudbury & District Citizens Advice Bureau at Belle Vue, Newton Road, Sudbury, Suffolk on (01787) 374671.


ANN FURLONGER – Bureau Manager

Sudbury & District CAB

12 July 2009


February 2009 


The company I work for hasn’t been doing so well recently and there are rumours they are going to be making a lot of people redundant. What are my rights in this situation? How do I know whether I’ve been chosen fairly and do I have to accept the redundancy?


Where an employer is making 20 or more employees redundant, this is called a 'collective redundancy'. An employer making a collective redundancy has to consult with a recognised trade union when there is one. Where there is no recognised trade union, an employer should consult with employee representatives before issuing redundancy notices.


You can only be dismissed because you are genuinely redundant, e.g. your company’s business, or part of the business, is ceasing to operate, moving to a different place, or the type of work required by the business has ceased or diminished or is expected to diminish.


When your employer chooses whom to make redundant, it is illegal to use selection criteria that discriminate against anyone because of their age, gender, race, disability, sexual orientation, religion or belief. For example, if all the people chosen for redundancy are women, this would usually be sex discrimination and unfair dismissal.


To be entitled to statutory redundancy pay you need to have worked for the firm for at least two years continuously above the age of 16 and be an employee. Self-employed people do not qualify.


If you do not meet these conditions, you won't get a statutory redundancy payment, even if you are genuinely redundant. If you are excluded from statutory redundancy pay you may still be entitled to contractual redundancy pay from your employer under your contract.


This is a complicated area and if you are in this position you should seek the help of an experienced adviser. For more information on redundancy please contact the Sudbury & District Citizens Advice Bureau on (01787) 374671, or e-mail admin@sudburycab.cabnet.org.uk or come to a drop in session on a Monday, Tuesday or Thursday between 10am and 1.00pm at Belle Vue, Newton Road, Sudbury, CO10 2RG.


If you have access to the Internet, you will find more information about this subject and many others at www.adviceguide.org.uk


ANN FURLONGER – Bureau Manager

Sudbury & District CAB

15 Feb 2009


November 2008


Have you ever answered your telephone and it seems there’s no one on the line, then after a while a voice announces themselves as part of a particular company that then tries to sell you something? Many wonder how the caller has received their details, as they have never had any contact with the calling company in question, and it seems your details are held on their database.


Whenever you complete application forms for goods or services, the terms and conditions should be clearly stated on the form. What many people miss are the questions about whether you would like the company you are dealing with to contact you from time to time about offers, benefits, products and services that may be of interest to you; or whether your details can be shared with a third party or a partner of the organisation you are dealing with. There is usually a box for you to indicate if you DO NOT wish the company/partner/ third party to contact you with such news. [Sometimes the box is for you to indicate if you DO wish contact . . please try and read the small print even if you need a high-powered microscope to do so - Webmaster.]


If you have ever received these annoying calls, help is at hand in the form of the Telephone Preference Service (TPS) that is funded and run by the Direct Marketing Association. By registering with the TPS you enter onto a central register of clients who do not wish to receive unsolicited calls from direct marketing companies on mobile or landline telephone numbers. This is especially important as it is unlawful for direct marketing companies based in the United Kingdom to make unsolicited telephone calls to telephone subscribers who have registered with the TPS.


To be able to register, free of charge, you need to contact the TPS at Telephone Preference Service, DMA House,70 Margaret Street, London, W1W 8SS, or telephone 0845 070 0707, or if you have access to the internet, go to www.tpsonline.org.uk  DMA House is also home to the Mail Preference Service, Baby Mail Preference Service and Fax Preference service. All these services are available for you to be able to opt out of marketing contact/material that you don’t want to receive. [Several links are available on this website. Please see click here for the listing - Webmaster.]


If you want to know how the company that called you have received your contact details, you have a right under the Data Protection Act 1998 to make a request in writing for a copy of the information the company holds about you on computer and in some manual filing systems. This is called a subject access request. You are also entitled to a description of the information, confirmation of what it is used for, and to whom the company may pass your details together with any information the company has about the source of the information.


Companies dealing with such request can charge a fee up to a maximum of £10 unless medical or education records are involved. On receipt of your fee the company has 40 calendar days in which they must respond; however, you must have supplied all the necessary information to help them find your records.


ANN FURLONGER – Bureau Manager

Sudbury & District CAB – 10 Nov 2008




At the Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) we have seen an increase in the number of clients contacting us for budgeting advice and what to do if they can‘t keep up their payments for existing debts. It can be tempting to pay the creditor that shouts the loudest; however, it depends on the type of debt as to the action that the creditor can take and therefore whose payments take priority. Here’s a typical example of current enquiries at the bureau:


Q. When I took out my mortgage two years ago I could manage the payments without any trouble, but now the discount period has come to an end and the payments have shot up I’m really struggling. I may also be in danger of losing my job. Do you have any advice?


A. Don't panic, but do sit down and take a long, hard look at your finances. Do a budget (looking at all your incomings and outgoings, any savings and any debts) and try to plan ahead, looking at whether you can increase your income and/or cut back on any of your spending. For more information have a look at the Citizens Advice website www.adviceguide.org.uk - if you do not have your own computer you can access the Internet at Sudbury and Great Cornard Libraries.


Do prioritise your mortgage payments but don't be tempted to take on more credit or debt to deal with payment problems. Check whether you have Mortgage Payment Protection Insurance (MPPI) and if so make sure your policy covers your circumstances. If you are thinking of taking out MPPI be careful - it can be costly and poor quality and won't always give you the protection you need. Make sure you shop around and get independent financial advice.


If you have already fallen behind with payments, or you do lose your job, let your lender know straight away. They should try and help you through temporary payment difficulties, for example by allowing you to pay interest only for a limited period. For more detailed information see our fact sheet on dealing with mortgage arrears on the Citizens Advice website www.adviceguide.org.uk , or talk to a CAB Adviser at the Sudbury Bureau on (01787) 374671, and if you are in arrears and facing court action by your lender, contact the bureau straightaway for free, confidential and independent advice.


ANN FURLONGER – Bureau Manager

Sudbury & District CAB – 08 Nov 2008


August 2008


Mindful of the recent rises in travel costs, advisers at the Sudbury & District Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) understand that not everyone that needs to find out more about what they are entitled to, are able to visit the bureau to receive advice. To help Cornard News readers know a little bit more about help that may be available to them, here’s a typical question posed by a client, with an adviser’s reply.


Q. I’m a pensioner and receive my state pension, but I’m finding it increasingly hard to make ends meet and pay all my bills. Am I getting everything I’m entitled to?


A. If you are 60 or over and have an income below a set amount, you may qualify to claim pension credit which is paid on top of your state retirement pension. Currently, as many as 1 in 4 people who are eligible, aren’t currently claiming pension credit. You can claim Pension Credit whether or not you are still working. Also you do not need to have paid any National Insurance contributions.


Pension Credit is made up of guarantee credit and savings credit. The guarantee credit of Pension Credit tops up your weekly income to a guaranteed level. The savings credit is for people who have a small amount of their own income or savings. You may be entitled to the guarantee credit or the savings credit, or both (depending on your or your partner’s age).


You will have to make a claim for Pension Credit using form PC1. You can get this by telephone, or in person at a Pension Service surgery, benefit office or local authority housing benefit or council tax benefit office. The National Telephone Helpline for Pension Credit is 0800 99 1234 (textphone 0800 169 0133). The Pension Service has a website at www.thepensionservice.gov.uk  


You may also be able to claim other means tested benefits such as Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit. Your Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit will be worked out differently once you are 60, so you may be entitled to these benefits when you were not before. If you are already getting the benefits you may be able to get more money once you are 60 and don’t forget to check you have received your Winter Fuel Payment that will increase this winter to £250, and £400 for people aged 80 or over. You should receive this automatically, but some people need to make a claim (working men aged 60-65 can fall into this category).


We hope that this advice column will encourage more readers see if they are receiving everything they are entitled to - advisers at the bureau can check to make sure you are getting all the help you are entitled to and help you make a claim. For more information, go to the Citizens Advice website www.adviceguide.org.uk and select ‘Benefits’ from the section ‘Your money’. You can also visit the bureau at Belle Vue, Newton Road, Sudbury, CO10 2RG or telephone (01787) 374671.


Ann Furlonger – Bureau Manager

Sudbury & District CAB – 09 August 2008


May 2008


Here at the Sudbury & District Citizens Advice Bureau, we have seen an increasing number of people contacting us to try and work out what to do next after receiving their ‘Christmas presents’ credit card bills. Some clients have found credit card bills are not their only debt – rent/mortgage payments, Council Tax and other priority bills have also gone unpaid. It helps if you put together a budget, to understand what money is coming in and going out. It sounds easy, but for many it’s incredibly difficult. Some people receive income once a month, or every four weeks, and others receive their income weekly. It’s very difficult to budget when the money comes in at all odd times of the month.


Start your budget by putting a line down the middle of your paper and write ‘Income’ and ‘Expenditure’ at the top of the two sides, and decide if you are doing a weekly or monthly budget. Work through your bills/statements with a fresh line for each subject, remembering to be realistic about what you actually spend, as this is the most important part of budgeting, namely recognising what your current financial situation is. Tip: monthly figures become weekly, by multiplying by twelve and divide by fifty-two.


When you start to look at expenditure, use your bank statements and bills, but don’t forget payments of Council Tax are usually made over a ten-month period rather than twelve. Difficult figures to enter into your budget can be housekeeping/food, and things you don’t buy/pay for on a regular basis. It’s vital to include these figures, as without them you risk the budget failing before it’s even started.


When you’ve added up both columns, hopefully your Income is higher than your Expenditure and you will start to feel in control of your finances, but it’s handy to use a pencil as you may find that you have forgotten to allow for something such as children’s pocket money, and need to add in other figures. You can also take an opportunity to review how much you spend on things such as mobile phone calls, and could reduce amounts you have already entered. If your expenditure is more than your income it’s definitely time for action.


If you visit the Bureau, or call (01787) 374671, we will check if you are receiving all the Benefits you are entitled to, including Pension Credits, and this additional income can make such a difference. We also have a ‘Sorting out your Debts’ booklet available from the Advice page of our website www.sudburycab.org.uk which will give you a helping hand in sorting out your finances.




Although many people may have heard of ‘Citizens Advice’, the Sudbury & District Citizens Advice Bureau finds that there are numerous Babergh residents that don’t know the type of subjects we are able to give advice about at the Bureau, whether seeking help by personal visit, telephone, letter, facsimile and now by e-mail.


Clients ask for assistance with some advice topics frequently, and an example below shows how we are able to help you: 

Question: My elderly mother is very frail and can’t walk very far at all. She doesn’t drive herself, but I usually take her to hospital appointments and family visits and so on. Would I be able to get a blue badge on her behalf?

Answer: The Blue Badge scheme allows disabled people to park in restricted areas, for example to park free of charge and without time limit at on-street parking meters.


Your mother will automatically qualify for a blue badge if she receives the higher rate mobility component of disability living allowance or war pensioners’ mobility supplement, or if she is registered blind. She may also qualify if she has a permanent and substantial disability which means she is unable to walk, or can walk only with considerable difficulty.


To apply for a blue badge, you need to contact Suffolk County Council, Customer First on 08456 023 023 between 8.00 am and 6.45 pm, Monday to Friday to request an application form. Alternatively, you can write to them at Customer First, PO Box 771, Ipswich, Suffolk, IP6 8WB. There is a small fee. If you are driving with your mother as a passenger, you will be able to use her blue badge to pick her up, drop her off, and ensure you can park close to where she needs to be. But it is a criminal offence to misuse a blue badge, and it can lead to a £1,000 fine, so she should never let anyone else borrow the badge for his or her own use.


The Blue Badge Helpline can give you more information about using the scheme. The Helpline number is 0207 944 2914 or 0161 367 0009 and you can also make contact by email at blue.badge@dft.gsi.gov.uk Further information can also be found on the Department for Transport website at: www.dft.gov.uk/transportforyou/access/


If you need more information about the Blue Badge Scheme, or have any other enquiry, please contact the Bureau on (01787) 374671, or you can email your request to s.supervisor@sudburycab.cabnet.org.uk  If emailing, please let the Bureau have as much information about the background to your query as possible, and include your name, address, and telephone number, in case we need more information from you, to be able to assist.


Ann Furlonger – Bureau Manager

Sudbury & District CAB – 06 Apr 2008


November 2007


I am looking at the calendar as I write this and see the clock is starting to tick in the countdown towards Christmas. For some it can be a very special time – families come together, presents are given and received, and for some, a little time away from work can be a well-earned rest. Unfortunately for others, the time can bring worry, and the extra stresses and strains of debt.


Looking around our local shops it can be so tempting to spend more than you have budgeted for when trying to choose that all important present for Auntie Mabel, or trying to get the must have toys that your children have been asking for, compounded by numerous adverts on the television. I have a three year old son who can be heard saying “I want that” when he sees something else that catches his imagination – little does he know he’ll be asked to name just three presents that he would like Father Christmas to bring, in a bid to curb his quest for the all singing all dancing new battery powered plastic toy that represents the fashionable toy of the season.


Setting yourself a budget for Christmas is a very hard thing to do, but can save you so much in the long run. I’m trying to put a bit more thought into gifts this year rather than cash, so some of my friends and family may well be issued a gift promise instead of a wrapped present – five hours ironing or gardening for example which could make a relative or friend very happy, especially if they have been finding it hard to keep up with things – the ideas are endless.


And what happens when the gift you choose for someone isn’t quite what he or she wanted, and they would like you to exchange it for something else? Shops are not required by law to let you bring unwanted items back, and even shops which will normally allow you to do this, might not do it for items bought in a pre-Christmas sale, so best to check first. However, it is worth going back to the shop to ask if they will take it back anyway. If there is something wrong with an item, then of course you have the right to take it back and this applies whether you buy something in a sale or at any other time. Depending on circumstances you may be able to get a full refund, some of your money back, repair or replacement, or you may choose a credit note or voucher. However, it’s best to check the shop’s policy before making your purchase. If you buy something as a gift you are unsure about, ask if you can return it if the person doesn’t like it. If they agree, ask them to write their name on the receipt and speak to them if you go back to the shop.


If you need advice, our website is www.sudburycab.org.uk and our client help-line phone number is (01787) 374671.


Click this Citizens Advice Bureau hyperlink to access the CAB page on this website.


Ann Furlonger – Bureau Manager

Sudbury & District CAB - 16 Oct 2007